A sump pump is a pump that is installed in the basement to prevent flooding of the house. The pump has a sump (or pit) where flood water will be collected. After the water that collects in the sump reaches a certain level, then the sump pump will start automatically. The water that enters the sump can be due to broken pipes in a home, water from too much rain or any other source of flooding.
What can lead to a sump pump failure?
- The sump pump makes use of electricity to operate. Any disconnection of the power cables will lead the pump to fail. This makes it necessary to check on the connections of the pump regularly to avoid the risk of flooding.
- Clogging of the drain line. The pump will draw water from its sump to the outside of the house through use of connection pipes. Any clogging in the pipes can lead the pump to failure.
How to Avoid Failure of the Sump Pump
- In order to ensure your pump is always working, you should make it a point of checking it regularly, after which you will service it. You can carry out the servicing of the pump by yourself or hire a professional. When hiring a professional you should ensure you hire the best in the field. Do some research and be picky with you who you hire.
- Install a power back up system. To avoid power disconnection you need to install a back-up system. You should make necessary arrangements and install power back up sources. There are some types of sump pumps which will come up with their power backup systems. Make sure you have a model like that to protect against possible floods.
- Test the pump regularly. You may have to wait a long period of time before you experience floods, so in order to ensure the sump pump is always working you can pour water into its sump intentionally and see whether it is responding. In case there is no effect, then you should replace it or carry out the necessary repairs.
There are many benefits that you will enjoy after you decide to install a sump pump, most importantly you will avoid floods which will lead to great loses in your home. In order to ensure the sump pump is perfectly installed, then you should hire a professional sump pump plumber who will install it the right way.