A musty, damp smell in the basement is not only irritating, but also has far reaching effects on the stability of your building. The water that you cannot see can destroy the foundation of your home. Exterior waterproofing is the permanent solution to rainwater or groundwater penetrating the foundation to compromise the entire wall. Exterior waterproofing can range from coating the exterior of the building foundation to digging down to the foundation and installing waterproof barrier over the basement foundation walls and the external drainage system. But how much does it cost to do exterior waterproofing?
The cost of basement waterproofing varies from one region to another, based on the method used, severity of the damage, and the service provider. All in all, for minor repairs, the cost ranges from $10, 00 to $30,000. The cost will depend on the problem and the area affected.
The labor cost varies from one company to another. Excavation cost will depend on the depth of foundation. The foundation depth will directly influence the costs because more labor will be needed. The depth requirement differs depending on the climate in which you live.
Many contractors prefer installing a perimeter drain or underground trench because it is considered the most effective method. On average, the excavation cost ranges from $16,000 to $30,000. The cost will depend on how much digging is required and condition of the area. Other costs you are likely to incur include;
- Mold removal services- this can cost anywhere from $4,000 to $12,000 depending on the area and the condition of the wall.
- Extending downspouts away from home- this will cost between $40 to $200.
- Installing a dehumidifier- this will cost somewhere from $600 to $19,000.
Other methods of waterproofing your home include:
- Concrete waterproofing- these are thick coatings that are applied to the wall. Once the concrete coatings dry, they adhere to the wall and offer a permanent solution. The only problem with concrete coatings is that it cannot be applied to surfaces previously painted. The cost of waterproofing using concrete coatings ranges from $30 to $40 per 100 sq. ft.
- Silicate concrete sealer- they are also known as densifiers. They are ideal for walls that have not been sealed or painted. Silicate sealers react with ingredients in the brick or concrete to form a hard waterproof surface. The cost of waterproofing using silicate sealers ranges from $20 to $20 per 100 sq. ft.
Exterior waterproofing is by far more expensive than interior waterproofing. However, exterior waterproofing provides the long-term solution. Your home is probably among the biggest investments you have made, and exterior waterproofing can help in maintaining your property value.
You should look for a professional services provider. Although DIY seems to be cheap, there are other things that a professional service provider will look at to determine the best method that will perfectly fit your situation. Professional service provider will provide the best services that will significantly enhance the lifespan of your home.