We all know there are certain things that can go down the drain such as water, milk, juice and human waste. When people see a large mouth, and powerful suction, they are often tempted to flush things that should not be flushed. There are many things that should never be flushed down the drain.
Items that you cannot flush
- Toilet Wipes- Even though adult wipes, cleaning wipes and some baby wipes are labeled as flushable, it is not recommended that they be flushed.
- Disposable diapers- never flush these down the toilet. They will cause a serious clog.
- Condoms- Even though small, a condom actually fills with air and will bob around in the drain.
- Disposable Diapers- They are made from a plastic material that expands when exposed to water, and will clog your toilet.
- Kitty Litter- It seem that a cat pee and poop would belong in the toilet but it is made of a clay that clumps when wet and should never be flushed.
- Paper towels- Since toilet paper can go down, it seem that paper towels can too. However paper towels are not made to break down in the water like toilet paper.
The list of the things that should not be flushed is very long. These are just some of the things that should not go down your drain. You should also teach your children not to flush toys down the toilet.
Unblocking the drain
If you have accidentally flushed something that should not be flushed, you will need to unblock the drain. There are a number of products that will enable you get the job done easily. Natural drain cleaners and chemical drain cleaners will help you to unblock your drain easily. You can use a drain rod to clear blockages that are nearby. If you have a very stubborn drain and can’t get it open you will need to call a professional to help you. A plumber will know the best way to clear the drain without causing further damage to your home.
It will be a lot easier to prevent drain blockages by taking care of your drain. In order to avoid blockages in future, you should monitor your drains on a regular basis. You should also dispose waste materials properly.