A wax ring is a ring that is used to fix the toilet firmly to the floor drain. Apart from fixing the toilet to the floor, the wax ring also acts as a bacteria and water proofing device. It ensures that no bacteria or water can escape from the toilet drain into your bathroom. You can install the wax ring by yourself or hire a professional plumber for the job.
Do-It Yourself Cost
- The cost of installing a toilet ring can range from $140 to $160. This will be the cost of hiring a professional for the job.
- If you prefer doing the job by yourself then all you will have to buy is the wax ring. The cost of fixing the wax ring by yourself is low when compared to the cost of hiring a professional plumber.
- Depending on where you buy the ring, it will cost about $6 for you to fix.
Hiring a Professional Plumber
- If you use a plumber for this job you can expect to pay about $150 in labour cost. This depends on where you live and the average labor cost in that area.
- Of course doing it yourself is cheaper because you will have eliminated the labour cost but if you don’t know what you are doing you are risking the ring leaking causing more work and cost at a later time.
What to watch out for…
You should always hire plumbers who have a good reputation in type of work you need. You can find out their experience by asking others who have used them in the past. You should also ensure you buy a durable brand of toilet wax ring. Remember going with the cheapest may cost you more money in the long run.