Choosing a toilet is not as straightforward as some people think. This is because there are several factors to keep in mind to ensure you get an efficient and practical model. There are different models available and it is important to have an idea of what you should look for. Here are some of the factors that you need to keep in mind.
- Flush Ratings–A toilet is supposed to last for many years without the need to replace it. It should be designed to last for a minimum of 10 years. For this reason, you should consider flushing performance of different models and brands. Online reviews are a great source of information if you need flush ratings.
- Efficiency–Toilets use up a lot of water and they can increase your water bills significantly. It is advisable to purchase high-efficiency toilets. Get a model that will use a maximum of 1.28 gallons. With this type of toilet, you will save about 4,000 gallons each year. Make sure the model you purchase does not stain or have clogging issues.
- Pressure-Assist Toilet–This kind of toilet offers better water efficiency compared to other models. Pressure-assist toilets usually come with separate tanks that are designed to hold water. This water is held under pressure and is released at high velocity, making it easy to remove waste. It will cost you more to purchase a pressure-assist toilet and some of the models tend to be noisier compared to the conventional ones that rely on gravity. It may also be a little more difficult for you to get spare parts and carry out repairs on a pressure-assist toilet.
- Easy to Clean–It is better to select an easy to clean toilet. One-piece models are a good option because there are fewer spaces. They cost more and the installation is complicated because of their weight. The tank and bowl are combined and this makes them heavy. To make it easy for you to keep the toilet clean, try one of the wall-mounted ones.
- Throne Height–Toilets with higher thrones tend to be more comfortable especially if you are tall or have a disability. This makes them a great choice for homes with seniors. If you have children, you will need something shorter to make it easy for them to reach the seat. Try out the seat before you purchase. It may seem ridiculous to sit on a toilet in the store but this is the only way to determine if the height is appropriate.
- Cosmetics- Of course, after considering all these things you want to choose a toilet that fits your space, and looks good in your bathroom. The best way to do this is search on line for your choices then visit the home improvement store in person to check out the various models available.
Consider these factors when you are selecting a toilet. Your needs will influence the model you select. Explore a variety of options before you purchase one because a toilet is something you will not replace for many years.